Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Village

Well last night I went down to my closest Onsen for the nightly bathe and I was asked if it might be too hot for me. Admitting that I couldn't take the heat for too long if I was actually being scalded the gent there ran cold water in to lower the temp a bit.

So when the next two regulars turned up he told them it was luke warm in deference to the soft white skin that was sharing their tub with them. And to my pleasure they both happily said that was fine. I think they must push their limits a bit so they can proudly be scalded hot tub veterans and any excuse for a break from the endurance efforts is welcome.

As many of you may know bowing is a customary thing in Japan. Today I saw a nice twist to that..
A couple of people met a friend in the street and I thought the person who had just showed on the scene was going in for the real nose to knee bow.. showing the utmost repsect, she was an elder - they do these things.

But no, something was stuck in the top of her shoe and she was just getting it unsnagged.

I'll have to remember that one next time I want to have a laugh, aaaaaaand down to tie the shoelaces... ;)